This long weekend (6. 7. 8) is reserved to launch Yasasin for rhe coming season.
The main plan being to join the long race from Istanbul to South of turkey in July
Saturday and Sunday we work hard, hoping to sail on Monday a couple of hours.
Perfect weather conditions we are totally lucky to have no wind to launch Yasasin and set the mast.
On Monday we can use 1 reef and J2 .
Great also to manage to use the 3rd reef as to check the position of the hook. (Thanks to Hughes for having measured that so accurately)
It took not less than 2 weeks (10th to 23rd) to prepare Yasasin after the whole one year staying dismasted in port and on land.
Arrived in Didim I found Senol busy cleaning the boat, preparing for painting the antifouling.
The plans were to set up the deck layout before the mast arrives as to concentrate on the rig and 100 details coming with this brand new package.
Senol and I started the job, joined later on by Søren G (from Præstø). Late that same day arrived the impressive convoy unable to make it to the shipyard due to many cars parked all over the place.
Never the less, we were not either allowed to move any further as the custom had to check in details all the gears packed on the huge long trailer.
6 guys, 2 armed policemen were the whole “army” needed to control this strange french package.
(I did not dare taking pictures of all the people)
Finally they released the truck to drive into the yard. We then came to wake the driver up at 6am for him to manoeuver this huge long trailer
All and all, we have been “looking” at the truck and the fret for 5 days in a row, not allowed to touch anything due to custom problems. So frustrating.
Unfortunately, Søren had to leave us Tuesday morning, not able to “work” on the mast and rig. Next time?
The same evening, the custom cleared up all and we could rush to open “our x-mas present”
Late in the evening, the mast was clear off the trailer and set on our cradles close by the boat and container
After hard working days, we got out sailing despite the several small mistakes which came out here and there.
A french guy was hired to secure and control the job was made properly and on sunday, we could sail.
Unfortunately, the wond was too strong for the headsails to be hoisted. 20knts was way too much we decided.
Thanks to those 3 guys coming along to help us with all the set up and trimming on that sunday, allowing us to take some shots of the first sailing day after our dismatting over a year ago
LORIMA has said several times that sentence to make sure I would not worry. Hmm, did I not?
“On the 29th of April, the mast will be loaded on a trailer to be shipped to Turkey, destination: Didim”
This Friday 29th was the day. A page to turn. The whole process of making happen the research, construction, development, and several other deals took an end.
Question being: is everything gonna be alright and as expected. I swear to God, I am crossing my fingers, but I am relieved. That is done. Check
Our mast is on its way to Yasasin
1st a trip across France to reach a ferry on Thursday 5th of May. Just the trailer will be loaded to sail to Pendik (near by Istanbul) to then been driven through custom and delivered in Didim by thursday the 12th hopefully.
Now the question is: when to order the crane to launch Yasasin and set the mast. Friday? Saturday?
At Lorima, the job is well on going to reach the 29th with serenity.
We get Lorima to set the rigg as it seems tricky for those never having tried before.
Some pictures to show few details of what we’ll see soon in Didim, when Yasasin will be sailing again in May
Today the 12th of April
Not many news those days apart from the good ones: the schedule is holding eventhough the delivery day set by the mast builder is the last day of the planned week. So for now, the mast is expected to be loaded on the morning of the 29th of April.
Difficult to estimate a proper ETA as the trailer will be driven across France (Lorient-Toulon: 1200km) then loaded on a ferry to be sailed to Turkey. Then through the custom, then driven to Didim, final destination.
So, what to expect? 10days? 2 weeks? 3?
I am afraid, the 15th of may seems to be the earliest. Let us cross our fingers.
In the meantime, here are the latest pictures taken yesterday
Since november 2015, things have happened.
LORIMA (based in Lorient: Bretagne) has been chosen to build our new mast.
They are specialised in Carbon fiber masts and we believe in a great corporation between us.
My brother, working at Northsails (Vannes) is a great help to get things going, and that makes things lots easier to get going in a confident position for all parts
The contract is signed, things can move forward
A)December At the boatshow in Paris, the building team is having its first meeting with the design group, sailmaker, etc …
Meeting at the yard for the team again in Lorient (France)
C) Early March 2016: the first step is on going
D) 24th of March: mast coming out of the oven
E) 28th of March. Ultra sound test: great success
F) This week, the mast is on the fitting stage where all items ordered are set in place
G) Later will the mast go under painting
After almost 1 year since our dismasting north of Didim (between Bodrum and Izmir: Turkey), lots of going on have happened.
- Flying over Greece with a little plane to find the mast, had several stories with the authorities to be allowed to fly in certain places
- found the mast and lost it again, dropping hopes right before the Turkish coastguards located the broken mast, so we could put it on land for expertise
- Had to trash most of the wreck except few items such as the solent and rollfurl-system
- search for a second mast worldwide with very few opportunities.
We found 3 possibilities keeping us focused until only one was to be seen, in France (Bretagne). After visiting the mast, I decided to set an expert on our case as to make any mistakes. Bad luck, the answer was 100% negative. We had to drop it.
- We studied several other alternatives
a) an aluminium mast
not allowed because of high risks of corrosion
b) a smaller mast (carbon)
Finally not taken because not having a racing ORMA any longer
c) an other boat
No, because Ardic was and is too much in love with Yasasin
d) a total drop of the project by selling Yasasin as is
e) a brain new mast
Difficulties to convince the insurance Cie.
- November 2015, the insurance agrees,
2 weeks after,
a brain new mast is ordered, contract signed, deposit paid.An long process, very expensive too, but the mast builder is making huge efforts to make the project fit into the budget.
- At Paris boat-show, details are settled involving a design team, several suppliers, mast builder and myself at an official meeting early december.
- Though out the winter, we talk, modify, insert and delete, replace, discuss prices and delivery dates.
- Trip to Didim to list and collect different pieces to send to France
- Meeting in Lorient (mast builder yard) for further details and agreements, modifications of several items
- The construction begins, early march, as planned.
Good news, we are on schedule.
- Out of the moule
End of March, the 30meters long carbon tube is ready to come out of the moule.
An approximative 300kg has been gained on the previous mastExpected departure of the mast from Lorient (France) : end of April
Road: transport from Lorient to Toulon,
Ferry: loaded on a ferry sailing to Turkey,
Road transport directly to the boat in TurkeyStay tuned: More to come.
Millions of reasons would not excuse not to have been fast enough to announce our arrival in Didim, final destination in Turkey.
Opology required: I have not been able to connect my computer to internet. Only smartphone would work, and that was not enough
Never the less, WE MADE IT
Saturday morning at 7.30, we were calling the marina on VHF, asking for assistance to enter the harbor.
A rather windy northerly breeze was keeping us out, not knowing what to find inside the jetty.
Before that moment, we went through tough conditions indeed.
The night was terrible, but fast, VERY fast.
No question to sleep nor to enjoy our relaxing time. First with 1 reef and solent, the wind picked up and David needed assistance to reduce the sails. Thank him for waking me up.
1 more reef and the staysail were installed, and off we went, riding the waves at about 15kts average.
Was that a bis repetita of the night before?
I went back to “sleep” but after not more than 45 min, Loïc was asking me to come out again. We dropped the staysail as we were topping 20 to 22kts.
Back inside again for a short while: my watch was starting. David was not comfortable with the darkness, the high speed, the spray waters, the hard waves.
“No worries” did I say that? I tried to mean it, so David could get down below and relax. God it was tough. Totally wet, unable to see anything, and speeding at over 20kts with 2 reefs in the main only were not the condition to enjoy, specially for the last night, worried to destroy something (or a lot)
Loïc, in his bench could not sleep. Maybe worried, he called me to ask if things were ok. Did I lie? hmmm, maybe a little. No need to panic right ? But for sure, I was looking forward to the wind to drop, the daylight to come.
But before that, we were all 3 on deck, feeling the hard conditions, feeling how small we are.
Finally able to hold the course straight to Didim, we dropped the mainsail completely, and opened the staysail, alone, averaging 17kts or so.
2 hours to go now, so I went to lie down few minutes. A short while after, the wind dropped totally, so we hoisted the mainsail again (2 reefs).
David complained of course, but … hey, we both did all month, so, who cares.
Once the contact was made with the marina, they sent a zodiac, then a second one, then Ardic and Gunnar sent an sms to announce their arrival at the harbor.
I jumped on one of the rubber-boat to see where we should dock meanwhile Loïc and David were getting our own in case needed.
An amazing service from the harbor staff. We had 3 zodiacs dedicated for us only, with 2 people in each as well as a shore-crew to catch our mooring-lines.
A very professional help where nothing could go wrong, even though for an ORMA60 sailed by only 3 people. Thanks Didim Marina.
As soon as the boat was secured, we left to have a wonderful breakfast at the “royal yacht club”. God we enjoyed it. We then went to our hotel for a sleep, well deserved, until 4pm.
After that, back to the boat to clean, empty, organize, trash, secure, water before going to a nice restaurant for dinner, to celebrate our coming with “YASASIN” on the table. God it was nice ….. (my head did not like it though !!!!! but I think I”ll never learn)
This weekend, the weather has changed drastically.
The temperature has dropped from above 20 to just around +5 celcius making it really cold with the 20 to 25knots of wind announced for the weekend.
Unfortunately sick, the owner cannot make it.
We welcome Henrik (replacing Uffe) who joins the crew for the very first time, hoping he will learn fast as he can only be there once before sailing off next saturday the 10th for the big trip.
We are still many people, ready to play with the speed. Clothes on, life-jacket set, we need to wait for the tide to give us some water under the keel (rudder actually). The display shows 0.00 meters under meaning, this is a no go.
Coffee, cakes, candies are served to help patient people to wait.
There are also some people on land, on the dock, waiting for us to “take off”.
Westerly wind allows us to sail off the dock by ourself, and after checking once more the depth, we leave.
Slowly in the channel, we need to reverse the engine as the wind pushes rather strong on the mast, but the shallow water is there, and we don’t want to touch ground.
Finally we hoist the mainsail with 2 reefs and deploy the staysail.
Right away, the speed goes over 20 knots, exciting everyone. After few adjustments, we clock 27 knots in a short run, but average easily about 24 to 25 knots. The wind is just around 12 m/s and that makes me wonder how we can sail in much more.
After 3 hours, some of the guest are totally freezing and we decide to sail in.
A little scary approach to the dock and a minor delay with the rotation of the mast forces us to go out and retry.
This time, all goes as planned. Lots of helpers on the dock make it even better.
Sunday the 4th
This time the weather is expected to be almost the same but we decide to go for 3 reefs in the mainsail and stormjib (foc ORC).
A good combination in this wind, where we clock a max speed of 20knots. Not bad.
Easy sailing, we try the autopilot for a while, and leaving Michael in charge, I get down below to feel the boat from a place I never tried. I try to fix the speedometer unsuccessfully and come back on deck after several minutes for a tack .
Before people get too cold, we sail in, expected by the dinghy coming to help us to dock.
Nice maneuvers, though a little long due to lots of wind sideway (NW).
Thank all for this nice weekend.
That was the last one here in Vordingborg where guests were invited.
A super great experience to have done in such a small area with such a big boat.
Snekken can be proud and pleased